National Arts in Education Week
September 11-17 was National Arts in Education Week! Our nationally recognized education outreach program reaches more than 25,000 students on Oahu and Neighbor Islands annually.
View the infographic to see how many students and schools were reached with last year’s Opera Express and Residency programs.
Organized student groups from Elementary School through High School can attend the final dress rehearsal of each opera as the exclusive student-only audience. Parents may also choose to expose their children (up to 18 years of age) to the opera with a Family Order. Tickets are just $7!
HOT’s Opera Express program visits Elementary and Middle Schools throughout the state to bring kid-friendly versions of some of Grand Opera’s most-loved masterpieces to students. Four performers put on complete shows, with a set, costumes, props, and even student volunteers!
HOT sets up “residency” at select schools to help the school produce a mini-opera with students in singing roles, creating sets and weaving math, literature and other lessons into the curriculum.
HOT’s Mae Z. Orvis Opera Studio provides voice training for young artists pursuing careers in opera.
With the success of the HOT’s Mae Z. Orvis Opera Studio, HOT created the Orvis Young Studio to provide opportunities for singers grades 7 through 12.
YOUR DONATION SUPPORTS:
- Children sharing in the joy of opera. Our nationally recognized education outreach program reaches more than 25,000 students on Oahu and Neighbor Islands annually.
- Professional symphony musicians. HOT contracts professional musicians up to 10 weeks each year.
- The only opera company in the state of Hawaii… and the only opera company that gives you the opportunity to see live opera and operetta.
- The future of opera. We believe in the cultivation and nurturing of young artists through our Mae Z. Orvis Opera Studio programs. Several studio alumni have grown into professional singers on national and international stages.
- Our community. HOT supports Hawaii’s economy by utilizing local resources – from the carpenters in the scene shop to young singers in the educational outreach programs.
If you would like your school to participate in our Education programs, please call Erik at 596-7372 extension 207 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.