Opera is the most expensive of the performing arts to produce. Even with the popularity of our productions, our ticket revenues cover less than 35% of our operating budget each year – a typical challenge for opera companies. Your gift provides the much-needed dollars necessary to close the gap between operating costs and revenue.
As a supporter, when you contribute to HOT your investment in the community far exceeds the operations of the company and our Grand Opera season activities. Your donation supports:
- Children sharing in the joy of opera. Our nationally recognized education outreach program reaches more than 25,000 students on Oahu and Neighbor Islands annually.
- Professional symphony musicians. HOT contracts professional musicians up to 10 weeks each year.
- The only opera company in the state of Hawaii… and the only opera company that gives you the opportunity to see live opera and operetta.
- The future of opera. We believe in the cultivation and nurturing of young artists through our Mae Z. Orvis Opera Studio programs. Several studio alumni have grown into professional singers on national and international stages.
- Our community. HOT supports Hawaii’s economy by utilizing local resources – from the carpenters in the scene shop to young singers in the educational outreach programs.
Play Your Part
Whether you are an individual or a business, you can play an important role in supporting opera in Hawaii. Browse this section to learn about the many ways you can get involved.